Re: LILO problems

Bob Lanning (lanning@tidbit.fhda.edu)
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 13:56:12 -0800 (PST)

---- As written by Delepine Jean Charles:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Bob Lanning wrote:
>
> > Same here. I have:
> > Adaptec 1542CF
> > connor 1.3G
> > LILO installed to partition not MBR
> >
> > I did about 20 sync's after installing LILO by hand, then rebooted.
> > It has been fine since. BTW LILO was coming up with LIL-
>
> I had the same problem and solved it : try the linear option in lilo.conf
[snip]

> hope this help,
> Jean Charles Delepine Universite du Havre
> Tel (bureau) : +33 35 19 57 38 Faculte des Sciences
> Fax : +33 35 19 57 15 BP 540
> Tel (perso) : +33 35 26 32 81 25, Rue Philippe LEBON
> Mail : J.C.Delepine@fst.univ-lehavre.fr 76058 LE HAVRE CEDEX , France

I had tried with and without linear.

It worked greate right out of the box, except the kernel had the wrong drivers.
(this is Slackware 3.0.0)

The LILO problem started with my first "make zlilo;reboot"
The only thing I could think of was that the descriptor table wasn't completely
writen to disk by the time the machine rebooted. (hence the 20 syncs, which I
have now added to the /etc/rc.d/rc.0 script.)

--
Robert Hajime Lanning                                     "It's the FROSTING!"
     The opinions expressed here are not mine, nor are they anyone else's.