Re: Linux-1.3.69

Chris Ariyo (ariyo@redhot.hut.fi)
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 09:07:20 +0200

At 15:58 27/2/1996 +0200, you wrote:
>Ok, I just made a 1.3.69 available.
>
>The diff is huge, but that's due to the new ISDN code that normally you don't
>even want to bother about (unless you have a supported ISDN card, of course, in
>which case you'll definitely care about it).
>
>Also, the MD driver is included in this kernel, so if you want to do striping
>etc this is the kernel to get.
>
>Other changes:
> - updated sound driver
> - SMP update
> - NFS cache fixed wrt permission problems
> - all filesystems update the vm cache so that mmap is coherent wrt write()
> - various minor networking fixes (packet sockets shouldn't hang on bind()
> etc)
> - TCP double ack fixed
>
>Happy hacking,
>
> Linus
>
>PS. NFS caching still has a strange "feature": root can read anything from the
>cache, even though root doesn't have permissions to read from the file on the
>server. This isn't really a security hole (root could have read /dev/kmem
>anyway), but it's a beauty wart. It's not going to get fixed, I'm afraid.

Hello,
I have compiled kernel 1.3.69 (of course 1.3.68) but could not boot this kernel.
Yhe whole compilation went quite well but when I booted the kernel it just
give garbage at boot time with a lot of beeps. The last kernel successfully
built was 1.3.67 and it is working fine.
I have the following system:
Intel Zappa ZP with 100MHz pentium bios 1.00.04BS0
2 SCSI harddisk 1GB each Fujitsu
1 CDROM Toshiba 3501
AHA-2940 SCSI host bios 1.11
Using Linux-FT version 1.1 distribution
GCC 2.7.0
32MB swap space
16MB memory
I have not had this type of problems before the kernel 1.3.68 and now also
1.3.69.
I will appreciate any help.
Thanks.

-Chris
** **
** Chris Ariyo Tel. 451 2755 **
** Metallurgian Laboratorio Fax 451 2798 **
** Vuorimiehentie 2K email: ariyo@redhot.hut.fi **
** FIN-02150 Espoo email: chris.ariyo@hut.fi **
** **
** WWW Homepage http://www.hut.fi/~ariyo/index.html **