Re: Booting troubles in 1.3.6[89] found (maybe)...

Thu, 29 Feb 1996 03:08:59 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Julia Anne Case wrote:

> Ok, I posted about this all the responses came back asking me if
> I ran lilo after installing the kernel. Well, I don't use lilo, so no I
> didn't run it. One person asked if I tried dd'ing the kernel to a floppy
> and booting... that worked... But, not the solution.

Telling us what you do use would help, loadlin ? bootlin ? erm, ethernet
remote boot ? give us a clue ....

> I started looking for what changed, and found that 4 lines were
> added to linux/arch/i386/boot/bootsect.S in the _main: routine
>
> nop
> jmp over_magic
> .byte 0xF0
> over_magic:

Hmm, as I understand it, this makes the start of the kernel image (which
bootsect.S goes at the start of) have a magic number for file of the
90 EB <^A> F0 ?), but that shouldent be a problem.

> When I commented out these lines the system worked properly. Is
> this a problem with non-lilo booted machines?

Looks like it, but what do you boot with, it could be just that ....

> Julie

Bryn

--
PGP key available from any good server   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
1024/EB275221 1995/09/05 Bryn P. A. Jones |            initiated.