Re: Kernel callable functions

Sarges (sarges@sdinter.net)
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 18:38:38 -0600

At 10:40 AM 2/28/96 -0500, you wrote:
>> You really *do* learn something new every day using Linux. The
>
>Very true. I recently learned it is *EASIER* by far to install Linux
>than Windows'95. (I just put '95 on my system - lost count of the
>number of reboots needed, but it *did* take 3 reboots/device to
>install the device drivers!)
>
>>driver I'm doing right now is the first kernel-space code I've ever
>>written, and I didn't realize until this afternoon that a great deal of
>>libc isn't available outside of user-space |-<.
>
>Welcome to the wonderful world of kernel hacking!
>
>> I'd like to find a list
>>of what standard library functions ARE available and how to get at them,
>>but I cannot seem to locate any documentation on that specific topic.
>
>You *must* read the code. There are only essential calls in the
>kernel, for example there are a *few* string ones, but that's
>about it. Look at other drivers (basic ones like the console and minix
>are good examples)
>
>> I've read over every FAQ, HOWTO, man page, etc. that I can think
>>of, as well as the kernel hacker's guide, but all of the available
>>resources are diffuse, skimpy, and don't collect all the info together in
>>one place. A lot of them are really badly out-of-date as well.
>
>I invite you to re-write them (nobody else wants to).

Andrew,

Its funny, but I was _really_ intrigued by this comment. My new
assignment at work is to pour thru old code, and build documentation for it.

I think what you suggest is a stepping-stone in the right direction for me,
and a bonus for my employer.

You wouldnt happen to have a list, suggestions, people to contact, etc...
so that I could at least _try_ this task out?

I would appreciate it much, and I think some linux guru's (like you and others)
might enjoy critiquing them :]

Thanks for any info or suggestions, it is appreciated.

Morgan
Morgan Sarges
sarges@sdinter.net
http://www.sdinter.net:80/~sarges