Re: LILO problems

Bob Lanning (lanning@tidbit.fhda.edu)
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 12:36:22 -0800 (PST)

---- As written by Phillip:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Kipp the Kidd wrote:
>
> > I'm new here, and am not sure exactly where I should post to about this :)
> > If someone could direct me to a more appropraite place, i'd be grateful.
> >
> > Several times I have made the major mistake of installing LILO twice. (IDE
> > disks, tried it on 2 different machines) The first install works great, but
> > the second time, when the computer boots, it displays 'LI' and freezes.
> > Formatting the HD doesn't fix it, redoing the partition table doesn't... in
> > fact, the only thing that does is setting the HD's first (few?) sectors to
> > 00 and redoing everything... (luckily, i had nothing of value on the disks
> > besides linux!)
> >
> I've had teh same problem, 'cept mine reboots eternaly. The way I delt
> with it was to use a boot disk.
>
> The problem went away when I ran lilo from a script (used the install
> lilo in slackware config), but still wouldn't work right.
>
> when I did my first successfull "make zlilo" everything cleared up ( I
> think/thought it was kernel size, but what do I know?)
>
> What did I learn from this story:
> Slackware 3.0.0 has probems.
> LILO might be one of Slackware's problems.
> Keep a boot disk handy, AND
> never trust a human to do a script's job :)

> ----
> I'm Not Paranoid; Which of my enemies told you that?
> --------------------------- -----------------------------------
> pj22298@xx.acs.appstate.edu http://xx.acs.appstate.edu/~pj22298

Same here. I have:
Adaptec 1542CF
connor 1.3G
LILO installed to partition not MBR

I did about 20 sync's after installing LILO by hand, then rebooted.
It has been fine since. BTW LILO was coming up with LIL-

--
Robert Hajime Lanning                                     "It's the FROSTING!"
     The opinions expressed here are not mine, nor are they anyone else's.