Re: SCSI disk driver module spin-up

Andrew Walker (andy@lysaker.kvaerner.no)
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:24:44 +0100 (MET)

Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > Well, what number of hours running causes the same wear as one spinup?
> > Determine this (buy 10000 drives and run them...), then spindown at
> > 10% of that time because most drives are not well cooled.
> >
> > I do think 26 hours is good. If you do not use the disk for 26 hours,
> > it is likely that you will not use it again any time soon.
> >
> > (about partition tables: you don't _need_ to read them all)
> >
> Hmm, I wouldent think reading the partition table would be a problem,
> don't SCSI disks spinup at power on anyway ?
> Bryn
> (I don't own any SCSI stuff, but I am looking at getting some ....)

Oh no, by golly. Not if you set the little jumper that's normally
called 'motor start' or 'motor enable'. Then they wait for the controller
to access them before spinning up.

Usually there's also a jumper called 'delay start' that means that
even when accessed it waits typically SCSI ID * 10 seconds before
spinning up (so if you've got 7 SCSI disks on the bus ID0 spins up
immediately, #1 spins up after 10s, #2 after 20s and so on).

-Andy

--
Andy Walker                              Kvaerner Engineering a.s.
Andrew.Walker@lysaker.kvaerner.no        P.O. Box 222, N-1324 Lysaker, Norway

......if the answer isn't violence, neither is your silence......