Re: Socket destroy delayed

Marc Lewis (marc@blarg.net)
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 13:46:15 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Joel Maslak wrote:

> After upgrading to kernel 1.3.68, on a P60 Slackware 3.0 system, I
> received the following error: Socket destroy delayed.
>
> What does this mean? Is it an error?
> This occurs after receiving mail.
>
> I have only been running this kernel for a few hours, no other problems
> noticed. BTW: CMD 640 support appears to be fixed in this version (as
> well as .66 and .67).
>
> I assume this has something to do with the TCP Close bug fix.
>

> Joel Maslak

Along these same lines, we've got several users who can no longer access
their WWW pages or email any longer. Whenever they try, I notice the
socket destroy delayed message in the kernel. They are making the
connection to the WWW Server (Spinner) and POP3 server (qpopper).

The server in question is:

P120/64MB, RedHat 2.1 w/shadow patches, running 1.3.68, SMC EtherPower
(tulip.c driver), NCR 53c810 SCSI.

The users are dialing on a 486/66/16MB, Slackware 2.1.0 system, Kernel
version 1.2.12, pppd v2.1.2d, Cyclades 16Yo (32 ports), MaxTech 28.8's on
all lines. Using radius authentication for users onto the P120.

What is interesting about all of the problems reported is they are all
running Windows 3.1x, NetScape, and using Trumpet Winsock as their PPP,
except one, who is using MacTCP and MacPPP...

Anyone have any fixes for this?

- Marc

Marc Lewis (marc@blarg.net) | Blarg! Online Services - Seattle, WA
Data: 206/441-9109 - or - | Shell - SLIP - PPP - 56k/T1 Frame Relay
telnet to blarg.net | Consulting services & setup available
then login as 'new' | World-Wide-Web: http://www.blarg.net/