Re: Make problems

Andrew Walker (andy@lysaker.kvaerner.no)
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 08:44:04 +0100 (MET)

Jared Mauch wrote:

> Please read the release notes that come with the libc that you recently
> installed, your problem is there, not with the kernel.
>
> Also, you can check http://puck.nether.net/
> and then click on the Victims part, to find other software victims of the
> kernel development.
>
> Craig Hutchison spewed:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently downloaded the 1.3.60 kernel. I used to be using version
> > 1.2.13-elf. The moment that I downloaded the 1.3.60 kernel and
> > installed it, my make utility doesn't work. If I try to make anything,
> > for example:
> >
> > cd /usr/src/linux
> > make mrproper
> >
> > I get :
> >
> > make: ***No rule to make target `mrproper'. Stop.
> >
> > This happens with whatever I try to make! So I used lilo and went back
> > to using the 1.2.13-elf kernel that I was previously using and the make
> > utility mysteriously works again? I have just started using Linux, and
> > this may be a simple problem, but it is driving me crazy because 1.3.60
> > has not given me a problem with anything else and ikt contains the
> > drivers I need for my TEAC CDROM. Help?
> >
> > Craig Hutchison
> > DACnet

Hey Everyone,

Get and compile Roland McGrath latest "alpha" version from
alpha.gnu.ai.mit.edu. It fixes this bug, and it also lets you hit
CTRL-C when compiling the kernel and, wonders will never cease, the
make process actually stops.

-Andy

--
Andy Walker                              Kvaerner Engineering a.s.
Andrew.Walker@lysaker.kvaerner.no        P.O. Box 222, N-1324 Lysaker, Norway

......if the answer isn't violence, neither is your silence......