Re: 1.3.62 and fat/msdos/vfat observations

tpeters (tpeters@pris.bc.ca)
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 15:11:02 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Jacques Gelinas wrote:

> The umssync utility will have to be modified to smooth this strategy even
> further. umssync is used to promote a non umsdos directory to umsdos.
> With that stategy, all names encounter will be accepted but turned to
> lower case in the EMD file (--linux-.---). Given that VFAT is case
> insensitive, this should work and will avoid renaming the file as seen
> from DOS.

Actually, according to some MicroSloth docs I have floating around, VFAT
_IS_ a valid Posix.1 filesystem. It's just that MicroSloppy's own
directory and file management code is not. There's a flag in directory
search (and file creation) called something like 'allow POSIX.1
filenames'. They warn against this as Win/whatever has no way of
discriminating files that differ only in case.

For what it's worth, VFAT also allows multiple files with the _SAME_
name. Let the buyer beware, eh?

I've tested this out BTW. Very big pain if Win/95 corrupts itself and
duplicates it's menu directories :(

So it's more like (for the value of the discussion): "Let's be nice to
Microsoft and not make it complain".

[scandisk/et al don't consider 'same name,different case' or 'same
name,different file' as filesystem errors, unlike DOS 6.x or below]

G'day, eh?
- Teunis