Re: IDE drive mauled by innd and 1.3.62...

Sarges (sarges@sdinter.net)
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 15:58:29 -0600

WOW!
Finally someone else stumbled on this! I thought it was just my
worthless machine. 3 questions for you...

1-Are you compiling your kernel with PCI optimizations?

2-Are you compiling your kernel with Triton Bus-Mastering (i call it something
else) enabled?

3-Do you use modules....

For your info, just in case...
I run a gateway P100 with 24 meg ram, and 16 meg swap.
All IDE, no modules.
Gcc 2.7.0, etc....

When I dove into the 1.3.xx kernels I got Triton Bus bastarding, errr Mastering
enabled, and at boot some messages started showing up (about 1.3.62 or 64).

Unfortunately, anywhere from 5 to 50 minutes into testing, while in Xwindows,
the system locks up solid... no ctrl-alt nothing.

Also mounted had my ms-junk drive mounted. The first time this crash occured,
I was rebuilding win95 and trying to hack my way back on to my own linux drive.

It has happened with every kernel since then, and as soon as i get 1.3.68 in,
ill be testing with it to see if I can narrow down the problem.

So, the big ? is, anyone else got some pointers?????

Thanks for bringin this out Ryan, I appreciate it.

At 06:51 AM 2/22/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Heya...
>
>Last night, at about 10:03pm (3 minutes into the nightly innd expiry run),
>crasher2 placidly locked up, and the hard drive light locked on.
>
>Watching it for a few minutes, I got error messages like this:
>
>hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
>ide0: reset timed-out, status 0xd0
>hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
>end_request: I/O error, dev 03:04, sector 1278481
>hda: drive not ready for command
>
>Upon reboot, fdisk gave errors like this:
>
>Inode 159909 (/lib/news/errlog.1.gz) has a bad mode (00).
>/dev/hda4: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY - RUN fsck MANUALLY
>
>And then I got a nice, happy-looking slackwareish login prompt.
>
>fsck /dev/hda4 (fortunately) fixed it manually, but I'm wondering what caused
>it and if it'll happen again.
>
>Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
>/dev/hda1 49737 41810 5359 89% /
>/dev/hda4 711251 649310 25200 96% /usr
>
>/dev/hda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
>/dev/hda4 on /usr type ext2 (rw)