Re: 1.3.62 and fat/msdos/vfat observations

Rich Tollerton (rtollert@mail.coin.missouri.edu)
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 18:59:51 -0600

tpeters wrote:
> Actually, according to some MicroSloth docs I have floating around, VFAT
> _IS_ a valid Posix.1 filesystem. It's just that MicroSloppy's own
> directory and file management code is not. There's a flag in directory
> search (and file creation) called something like 'allow POSIX.1
> filenames'. They warn against this as Win/whatever has no way of
> discriminating files that differ only in case.
>
> For what it's worth, VFAT also allows multiple files with the _SAME_
> name. Let the buyer beware, eh?
>
> I've tested this out BTW. Very big pain if Win/95 corrupts itself and
> duplicates it's menu directories :(
>
> So it's more like (for the value of the discussion): "Let's be nice to
> Microsoft and not make it complain".
BTW: If my reading on installable filesystems on Windows 95 (windog,
whatever, at least it runs Netscape 2 :) ) is correct, then it should be at
least possible to port ext2fs to Windows 95. (Now how interesting would it be
to have Linux and Win95 all on one partition without UMSDOS?) Suggestions?

--

______________ Rich Tollerton rtollert@mail.coin.missouri.edu