Re: New old patch - pci.c

Stephen Lee (sl14@crux1.cit.cornell.edu)
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:09:17 -0500

On Feb 22, 8:24am, "Ulrich Windl" wrote:
> On 21 Feb 96 at 17:09, Stephen Lee wrote:
> > On Feb 20, 12:11pm, "Ulrich Windl" wrote:
> > >
> > > If you have configured PCI support, but your computer has no PCI
> > > BIOS, it looks as if there are no PCI DEVICES. The following patch
> > > gives a better message in /proc/pci.
> >
> > XF86 can get at PCI configuration without calling PCI bios (using just
> > I/O); is there a standard way to do that? I don't have the PCI
> > standards...
>
> Basically the BIOS does just work on the hardware; every program can
> do that, BUT if you don't have PCI support in your BIOS, then most
> likely you don't have any PCI slot in your motherboard.

So you're saying the patch is for people who don't have PCI but have PCI
support compiled in I guess?

> I don't have PCI specs, but I've seen a nice collection at a book
> store (intended for hardware developers, I guess).

I've only seen one PCI book at bookstores, and that's "PCI System
Architecture" from Addision-Wesley if I'm not mistaken. I was going to
buy it but I leafed through it trying to see what they have for PCI BIOS
calls. That part is 2 pages long and basically says: "The PCI BIOS Spec
is very clear on these calls, so we won't repeat it here." Not
surprisingly I didn't buy the book.

Stephen