Re: Terminal Emulation program for Linux

Andreas Kostyrka (andreas@medman.ag.or.at)
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 23:07:37 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Aaron Ucko wrote:

> OTOH, it _would_ be nice to have a permanent record of fatal kernel panics;
> copying a bunch of hexadecimal numbers on a piece of paper to determine
> what happened without miscopying any is slow and tedious. (OTOOH :-),
> when the kernel has panicked fatally I/O may not be such a good idea.)
Would it work, to save the messages in same place in memory (say between
512-640k, or so, and then, after the reboot LILO could dump the message via
the BIOS on /dev/lp0, or save it (however I don't know how) for the booting
kernel?
Or would the BIOS just override such magic cookies+message? (All BIOSes?)

Andreas

--
Andreas Kostyrka
Email: andreas@medman.ag.or.at