Re: kernel stack torture

Drew Eckhardt (drew@poohsticks.org)
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 12:50:54 -0700

In message <9602191007.ZM19318@aib.com>, eric@aib.com writes:
>>at boot time when I did the SCSI code. Since Linus changed the
>>initialization order arround in 1.3.whatever, we should probably be doing
>>GFP_DMA >kmalloc()s instead.
>
> Actually there still is a slight dependency here - until we scan the
>bus, we don't know how much DMA memory to allocate for the pool, so when we
>start scanning the bus, the pool is empty. Thus we grab something off the
>stack to use temporarily.

Are you referring to the scsi_malloc() pool, or what happens when you do a
kmalloc() with a GFP_DMA flag? If it's the former, I don't see why we can't
use a kmalloc() when scanning the SCSI bus (although in the usual case, we
may still want to keep our own pool of DMA memory to avoid deadlock
conditions). If it's the later, I need to take another look with how
kmalloc works, since I was under the impression that anything in the free
list under a #defined address could be returned.

--
You too can commit two felonies by using this .sig:
Eat bite fuck suck gobble nibble chew; nipple bosum hairpie finger-fuck screw