Re: Will a.out disappear?

Carl V Streeter (streeter@cae.wisc.edu)
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 17:54:52 -0600 (CST)

Matthew E. Clauson writes:

> My biggest concern with ELF (and I admit, it's been a while since I
> played with it, around 1.3.25) is the fact that it is not efficient
> with my system. I'm running a IBM486SLC/66 with 4 MB of RAM, and,
> last time I used ELF, I swapped a lot more than I usually do. Has
> this changed, or will I still have problems running ELF instead of
> a.out for the time being?

Probably because you were using a mixed a.out/ELF system. This causes
2 copies of system libraries to want to be in memory. That'd cause
your swapping ;) Especially on a 4 meg system.

--
Carl Streeter                   |  "Etiquette-wise, there is no proper time
streeter@cae.wisc.edu           |    to use the phrase 'It sucks.'" --Dogbert