Documentation? (Was: Easter Egg (Was Re: Kernel Stack Overflows))

Daniel S. Barclay (daniel@compass-da.com)
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 17:20:05 -0500

> From: Brian Dowling <brian@simplicity.net>
>
> > ... you can try to press shift- (or was
> > it ctrl-?) ScrollLock when in text-mode, and you'll see some kernel
> > debugging info, including how much free stack we have. ...
> > Linus
>

> Oh, way cool. I was wow-ed when I found Shift-PgUp, Shift-PgDn! :)
> I guess the gifts never cease to amaze.
>
> Think maybe things like this deserve a little linux/Documention file?? :)

Speaking of documentation, is there any project or organization to coordinate
Linux documentation?

(For example, to notice user and programmer interfaces such as the virtual
consoles (their special keystrokes) that seem not to be documented on line (or
at all?) as most other things are (in manual or info pages, or occasionally
in comments in header, configuration, and script files).)

(Or for another example, to recommend one documentation form (e.g., manual
pages, info pages, or whatever) as the starting point for on-line documenta-
tion. That is, to recommend, for _example_, "use man. pages for your on-line
documentation, even if they only point to some other form of on- (or off-)
line documentation, so that users know where to start looking when they need
documentation.")

I've been running into a lot of un-, incompetely-, or mis-documented things
recently, and would like to complain in a productive way. (Well, what I'd
like is to just complain and have it fixed perfectly, instantly, etc., but...)

Daniel