Re: filesystem corruption with Linux-1.3.66 and newer Adaptec 2940

James MacKinnon (jmack@phys.ualberta.ca)
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 11:32:45 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 19 Feb 1996 deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org wrote:

> >I've disabled cache, swapped cache, swapped SIMMS ... problem still
> >occurs. I have active termination on this card, and it is rock-solid
> >otherwise with the old driver.
> >
> >Perhaps I hadn't emphasised this in my previous post:
> >
> >The problem only manifests itself when the target disk becomes FULL
> >during the test, so perhaps ENOSPC is being ignored/mis-coded by the new
> >aic7xxx driver (perhaps in the SCB DMA routines?). Because the IDE drive
> >is affected, the driver may be over-writing into the I/O space of the IDE
> >driver.
>
> Ohhh. No I didn't understand that the disk becomes full.
>
> It's not the aic7xxx drivers responsibility to handle/raise ENOSPC. The
> driver just executes commands that the higher-level SCSI code sends to it.

The aic7xxx code is not the only one. There was a recent post I just noticed
where NCR53c7,8xx does a similar thing (although I don't know if this is
a disk full condition):