Re: menuconfig: better hotkeys

William E. Roadcap (roadcapw@cfw.com)
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 01:47:10 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> I've notices that menuconfig just uses the first letter of a menu
> entry as hot key. Wouldn't it be beter to collect the letters that
> are already used, and then advance to the next letter of a menu entry
> if the current letter is already used. There are a lot of entries
> that start with the same letter (e.g. SCSI).

Yes, I thought of that when I added the hot keys. The menus are
controlled by lxdialog (written in C) which doesn't really have much to
do with handling the actual configure chores. A few thinks, hotkeys
included, were a little tricky to interface between the bash script and
the lxdialog utility. At least it was for me. Anyhow, due to wasting
most of my professional life writing accounting apps in xBase, my C
programming skills are still developing and I felt that I should crawl
before I walk.
:-)

Tip: You can hit the 'S' more than once and the selector will
jump to each occurance. Two 'S's on the screen? Press 'S' twice.

If you would like to try your hand at that mod and send me the patches,
I'd be happy to give it a try and send it on to Linus. Otherwise, it's
on my TODO list along with my laundry.

Thanks for the advice!
___
William E. Roadcap mailto://roadcapw@cfw.com