Re: Module Symbols

Mon, 19 Feb 1996 13:45:14 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 18 Feb 1996, Julia Anne Case wrote:

> I'm trying to learn enough to be helpful here so forgive me if I seem to
> ask silly questions.
>
> Sometimes when I try to load a module I get a message to the effect of
> the symbols from 1.3.62 don't match 1.3.62. This doesn't make much sense
> to me.
>
> Julie

A nice error message isn't, try a depmod -a (without the -a to get a
useage type thingy), to update the module dependancies. I have this in
/etc/rc.d/rc.S as soon as the disks are mounted read/write (hmm, well the
ext2 ones anyway, mounting a vfat partition with an undepmoded module and
kerneld don't work. Hmm, failing all that, try a insmod -f <module> to
try harder. Hmm it just struck me (and I'm sueing ;) that this module
may depent on annother (ie the vfat/msdos module depends on the fat module,
the psaux module depends on the mouse module ...), so a modprobe <module>
may well load it (as modprobe will first load depended upon modules).

[munch .sig]
Bryn

--
PGP key available from any good server   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
1024/EB275221 1995/09/05 Bryn P. A. Jones |            initiated.