Re: time stamps

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
19 Feb 96 01:05:46 MET

In <01I1BRE0A3R60013ZG@VAX1.ROCKHURST.EDU> Aaron Ucko <UCKO@vax1.rockhurst.edu> writes:

> >> Yep. I haven't experienced any such problems, but it looks as if many
> >> of your time differences are 6 hours, which is the offset between central
> >> standard time and universal time.
> >
> >Yes. I had another occurance of this and the time was exactly 6 hours
> >ahead of the local time. The person that was connected to my machine is
> >in the same timezone as myself.

> Hmm...I have no idea whether this is related to the problem, but is your
> CMOS clock set to local time or to universal time? (Mine, BTW, is set to
> local time.)

I guess you're starting icmplog and syslogd *before* /usr is mounted
and /usr/lib/zoneinfo/localtime is available to get timezone information.

IMHO it's a big design flaw in libc to keep timezone information in /usr/...
I suggest the following commands as root in "single user mode" (it must be
possible to mount/unmount /usr !!) :

cd / ; mount /usr
(cd /usr/lib ; tar cf - zoneinfo/*) | \
(cd /etc ; tar xf -)
rm -rf /usr/lib/zoneinfo
ln -s ../../etc/zoneinfo /usr/lib/zoneinfo
umount /usr ; mkdir /usr/lib
ln -s ../../etc/zoneinfo /usr/lib/zoneinfo

which will copy the timezone information to /etc/zoneinfo/... and
makes sure that /usr/lib/zoneinfo/... is available even when the /usr
file system is *not* mounted!

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\