Re: CVS, Linus, and us

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:49:07 +0100

On 17 Feb 96 at 14:44, Todd Fries wrote:

> > Why couldn't one of these people make his/her ... CVS
> > tree available over the net?
>
> 'Twould be wonderful. Unfortunately, currently, cvs in its default form
> requires remote shelling capabilities into the computer. One would have to
> be very confortable with the security risks in 'just making cvs available'
> over the net.
>
> > The netbsd people have a CVS tree for the source of all system files.
> > I don't know why we can't do the same thing.
>
> Someone please correct me if I don't have my facts straight, but as I understand
> it, it is OpenBSD, not NetBSD that has the 'anoncvs' tree. Just browse to
> http://www.openbsd.org/ and follow the 'how we help developers and users' and
> read more details, but basically, they have a neat 'secure' environment setup
> in which one CAN retrieve files in a read-only fashon. I personally know one
> of the site maintaiers who worked for several days setting up anoncvs and he
> was telling me that it wasn't a breeze. Something along the lines of OpenBSD's
> 'edge' on other free OS's, from what I gather.

Basically mounting the holy CVS tree over NFS read-only should solve
all the write problems. I think BSD people are just getting a current
"export" instead of a "real checkout". Having an "export" is enough
to have the latest sources, but you need to import them before you
can change them via CVS.
Ulrich Windl Klinikum der Universitaet Regensburg
Rechenzentrum DV-med Franz-Josef-Strauss-Allee 11
Tel: +49 941 944-5879 D-93053 Regensburg
FAX: +49 941 944-5882
The French government had announced that one, or maybe two, nuclear
tests are necessary before further nuclear explosions can be simulated
on computers. I don't know which is the worst: French computers, French
mathematicans, or French politicians.