Re: 1.3.6x, Netscape 2.0 dies.

Barney Adams (barn@mcs.com)
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 13:52:30 -0600

Laszlo Vecsey wrote:

> This may not be a kernel related problem, but how stable is Netscape 2.0
> (official) release running on everyones systems? I haven't had any
> problems with the SGI version, but on Linux it crashes occasionally
> kicking me completely out of XWindows.

I've been having the same problem. I run olvwm and just upgraded
to Elf libs/gcc and installed new Xview. I thought my problem was
either not doing the install correctly or missing some lib. I launch
linux from dos with loadlin and can try several kernels 1.3.57 will no
longer boot (probably Elf/a.out problem) but 1.3.60-1.3.64 seem fine
other than System will reboot from X-windows. 1.2.11 kernel remains
stable and has yet to cause problem with X. The 1.2.11 is a.out kernel.

I'm not sure about the connection to the new 2.0 Netscape as I've
had the system reboot without netscape running. Normally dont use
X unless I need to use Netscape.

Holding the mouse select button down for an extended time seems to
initiate the reboot. At least as I've noticed. I have'nt been able
to find any log entry indicating any thing outside the ordinary.

I've been holding off reporting this. Usually I see a fix come through
the group or a kernel upgrade will fix. I hope I'm not rambling too
much. If no fix does anyone have suggestion of what I could do to
help narrow the cause of this problem. (log file to check, option to
set in kernel, patch to apply...)

Barney