Re: screen character set (was: Re: /dev/vsc* permissions)

Harvey Fishman (fishman@panix.com)
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 12:23:16 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 18 Feb 1996 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> : How can I tell what character set the console screen is currently
> : using so that I can direct my printer (HP 5MP) to use that for this job?
>
> You can't. But probably you know yourself.
> [The bytes in video memory index the character ROM. If you did not
> use setfont then probably the character set is close to CP 437,
> but several countries have different defaults. If you used setfont
> and mapscrn, then you can ask the kernel for the current mapping table.]

Since the only manufacturer of display adapters that seems to agree with my
ideas of what a screen font should look like is IBM, I of course do use
setfont to select something that is acceptable. But I remember hearing
that Linux is capable of working with multiple selectable character sets.
Are you saying that this selection is not made by character set name? From
what I heard, I sort of got the impression that there was a variable
somewhere that corresponded to that name. Am I that far off, and if not,
how can I access that variable? I am pretty sure that the font that I am
using is some variation of ISO 8859/1, but I have never checked the
details.

> : Second, and much more of a thorn - using the keytable to marry a script to
> : a key causes the scriptname to appear and scroll the screen one line before
> : the print job takes place. This loses the top line of the original screen
> : image that I wanted to print. Is there any way for the script to be called
> : from a hot-key without this? One way that occurs to me is to dig into that
> : vcsa code and replicate the parts of it that grab the screen image in my
> : code, but move the window up one line.
>
> Yuk. First switch to another console. Or use a key that does not echo
> anything.

Well switching to another console entirely defeats the utility of the
command that I want to implement. My usage is that I am reading through a
text document, and I come to a juicy morsal that I want to grab - ZAP! to
the printer. Switching consoles breaks the train of thought.

But how can I bind a key to a script without having it print on the screen?
Or really the question is "How do you do a TSR program in Linux?" Thanks
for any guidance here.

Harvey

Harvey Fishman |
fishman@panix.com | Sum, ergo cogito.