Re: Linux-1.3.65

Dan Janowski (danj@netcom.com)
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 23:30:59 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 17 Feb 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So do not try to discourage people from trying development kernels: just
> tell them what that implies. Lots of people will then be happier to use
> the stable kernels, but if everybody is chicken, we won't get any
> bugreports or fixes.

A suggestion in the context of this conversation. Suggest the use of the
ability to have more that one bootable target in LILO. When I
install a new kernel I don't make it the default and I don't
blow over the last known good one, i.e.:

root@fnur:/# ls vm*
339 vmlinuz 359 vmlinuz-1.3.3
358 vmlinuz-1.3.21 336 vmlinuz-1.3.30

my current default kernel is vmlinuz-1.3.30, when I build a
new kernel, I don't loose it. I've kept enough of a secure
kernel trail that I can step backward if I got bit bad. The
risk comes with having to recompile other dependent progs like
procps and pppd, but it's not that big of a deal.

Dan

--
danj@netcom.com

Dan Janowski New York, NY