Re: kernel stack torture

David S. Miller (davem@caip.rutgers.edu)
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 21:53:19 -0500

From: "Ulrich Windl" <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 08:35:49 +0100

Wouldn't it be best to grwo the kernel stack instead of panic-ing?
I don't know it this is easy, but it sounds a good idea. One could
also watch how much kernel stack is actually used.

Yes, growing the stack would be really neat. It would require
implementing a unmapped page before each and every stack page, I
implement this currently on the Sparc using the
alloc/free_kernel_stack() interfaces I wrote for this very purpose.
Currently on the ix86 the kernel stack pages live and breathe right in
the middle of the free page pool, so when you overflow you most likely
will spam a task_struct or a vfs buffer or a real process page without
any immediate signs of what has happened.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@caip.rutgers.edu