problem with man|head (not related to new kernels)

Paul Matthews (paul@matthews.com)
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 21:02:33 -0500

Trevor Johnson writes:
> When I do
>
> man X|head>~/tempfile
>
> I get:
>
> Error executing formatting or display command.
> System command exited with status 36096.
> No manual entry for Xsecurity
>
> If I let the output just go to the console, the error messages don't
> appear, nor do they appear if I use tail instead of head, nor if I use w
> or cat instead of man. Doing this from bash or tcsh, or in a shell
> script, or amped off, makes no difference. Choosing a different man page
> makes no difference. Using libc 5.2.18, 5.3.3, or 5.3.4 makes no
> difference. Using Linux 1.1.76 or 1.3.57 (with ELF and a.out) or 1.3.63
> (ELF only) makes no difference. In spite of the errors, the file receives
> the correct data. My copy of head came precompiled with Slackware 3.0,
> but when I fetched the textutils 1.9 source and compiled it, the new head
> gives the same messages.
> ___
> Trevor Johnson <trevor@hepnsf.csudh.edu>
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/.config ~/.signature

Trevor,

Interesting. I get the following:

bash$ man X | head > ~/tempfile
Error executing formatting or display command.
System command exited with status 36096.
Formatting page, please wait...
Error executing formatting or display command.
System command exited with status 36096.
bash$ more ~/tempfile

X(1) X(1)

NAME
X - a portable, network-transparent window system

SYNOPSIS
bash$

Regards,

Paul Matthews