Re: Linux-1.3.60

Dr. Werner Fink (werner@suse.de)
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 14:12:14 +0100

> From: andrew@babylon.riverside.ca.us (Andrew Tristan)
> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 11:24:11 -0800 (PST)
>
> Stephen Lee writes:
> >
> > On Feb 13, 4:18am, Ville Steudle wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Linux developers,
> > >
> > > I noticed the following problem with newer kernels, at least with 1.3.45
> > > and .57:
> > >
> > > Every now and then (maybe 1 out of 10) when I'd like to shutdown my
> > > system via ctrl-alt-del or /sbin/shutdown, I just get the first "sending
> > > all processes the TERM signal", then _no_ output from the daemons being
> > > shut down and - bingo! The system hangs.
> >
> > I have this problem too, with sysvinit-2.58-2 and kernel 1.3.4x onwards,
> > 1.3.57 now (don't remember if I had it earlier). I've had it since
> > upgrading from sysvinit-2.50. I found that if you shutdown from command
> > line, or has another process do it (like via the jsr daemon), it is less
> > likely to hang. (It doesn't lock up, actually, it is just in a state
> > where all gettys are killed and no way to switch runlevel).
> >
> > Stephen
> >

> I've noticed a similar problem, with the same frequency, which I didn't
> notice prior to 1.3.5x. When I use halt to shut the system down, I get
> something like "Unable to determine runlevel." This despite the fact
> that runlevel always returns the correct info. This is with
> sysvinit-2.58-1. Did I set something up incorrectly?
> Cheers,
> Andrew

Hmm --- in sysvinit-2.5x the commands reboot and halt are internal commands
within the boot scripts (called after killing all processes and umounting
filesystems) --- use `shutdown -r now' and `shutdown -h now' instead. I know
there is a compatibility mode for old sysvinit-2.4 user definable within
the sysvinit-2.5{7|8} sources but you never know ...

Ciao

Werner