Re: virtual console problem?

Arthur D. Jerijian (jerijian@seas.ucla.edu)
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 09:18:25 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 14 Feb 1996, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> "ls" output gets corrupted sometimes. Here is the way to reproduce it:
>
> ls -a<enter><keep enter pressed>
>
> do it in a largish directory (my home dir), and after several tries, one
> of the output lines gets corrupted:
>
> "/ works/__________________________________________________"
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^ extra underlines till end of line
>
> the correct output should be:
>
> "/ works/"
>

> These underlines appear only if you keep the enter key pressed, or if you
> do "ls" after a longer idle time.
>
> This could be a "bash", or a virtual console problem. I'm using the color
> ls, the "corrupted" lines are only the "directory" ones (blue on a vanilla
> Slackware ls)
>
> i've had this problem for a long time (all the 1.3.* kernels?), but couldnt
> reproduce it.
>
> I'm using SVGATextMode with a 100x36 text screen ....
>
> any ideas?

I suspect that this might be a buf in SVGATextMode
1.0-1.1, where all the blue text becomes underlined. This also happens
on my #9 Motion 531 PCI video card, 2MB DRAM. The bug shows up in all
the kernel versions I've used, from 1.2.13 to 1.3.62.
Does anybody know if there will be a new version of SVGATextMode
which will fix this bug (and, for that matter, which will PROPERLY
restore the text mode after I exit X? FYI, my card has an ICD2061A
ClockChip, which might be causing the problem.)
Also, I really think we should take this situation out of
linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu and move it to, say, comp.os.linux.misc.

> -- Copyright 1995. Ingo Molnar, mingo@hercules.elte.hu, Microsoft Network is
> prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part
> without license. License to distribute this work is available to Microsoft at
> $500. Transmission without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.
> Make money fast! Copy this signature :))

Arthur Dikran Jerijian
UCLA Undergraduate, Computer Science and Engineering
E-mail until June 1997: jerijian@seas.ucla.edu
World Wide Web: http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~jerijian