Re: Linux Raid (was: Nasty SCSI Bug.)

Harald Milz (hm@linux.de)
Wed, 14 Feb 96 00:34 MET

Lauri Tischler (ltischler@fipower.fi) wrote:

> IMHO using plain RAID-0 (spanning) or RAID-1 (striping) _without_
> duplexing is quite dangerous. If you lose one drive, you lose hole
> array. The REAL solution is RAID-5 or better.

Oops. RAID 0 ist striping, and RAID 1 is mirroring (i.a.w. the first
1987 UCB RAID paper and the RAID Advisory Board). But as long as two
mirrored disks hang off the same controller, it's a SPOF (single point of
failure).

An external hardware RAID is always better in terms of data integrity,
irrespective of the RAID level (as long as it isn't 0) but as I understand
that was not the primary concern to write md.

--
Harald Milz (Harald.Milz@munich.netsurf.de)

"Now the Lord God planted a garden East of Whittier in a place called Yorba Linda, and out of the ground he made to grow orange trees that were good for food and the fruits thereof he labeled SUNKIST ..." -- "The Begatting of a President"