Re: 1.3.62 and fat/msdos/vfat observations

Eric Plante (planteer@jsp.umontreal.ca)
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 08:52:19 -0500 (EST)

On 13 Feb 1996, Joao Carlos Ventura wrote:

> Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:
> : Has VFAT the concepts of permissions and owner/group needed for a=20
> : true UNIX filesystem. That's what came into my mind when thinking=20
> : about booting Linux from VFAT. What about asking Microsoft to switc=
h=20
> : to UMSDOS?
> You would still need to use the umsdos fs for those properties. We =
would
> only start using the vfat filenames, that way a more transparent linu=
x fs
> could exist.

I believe a case sensitivity issue would arise, so you'd still need=20
mangling (whenever someone is weird enough to have two files of the sam=
e=20
name with different case in the same directory.. Ok maybe a .c and a .C=
=20
file, I can't see what else..)

| =ABDes femmes nues se jetaient dans ses bras avec une joie d=E9mente=BB=

| - Boris Vian |
+-http://www.jsp.umontreal.ca/~planteer/ ---------------------------+