Re: ramdisk / root disk

Tuukka Tikkanen (tic0@sata.fi)
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 10:55:35 +0000

Note: I ran out of :)'s so insert some of your own where necessary...

On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Martin Schulze wrote:
> /* for Slackware install disks */
> - printk(KERN_NOTICE "VFS: Insert root floppy to be loaded into ramdisk and press ENTER\n");
> + printk(KERN_NOTICE "VFS: Insert root floppy to be loaded into ramdisk and press any key\n");
> wait_for_keypress();
> II If it says "press ENTER" why just wait for _any_ keypress and not
> only for ENTER? It would be very nice if only ENTER would be a
> valid key, but that isn't the fact - at the moment.
Because you should never underestimate the los^H^H^Huser.
These immortal sayings were _not_ originally jokes: "I pressed Alt key
and nothing happened...", "There is no 'any' key on my keyboard..."
The way it was, instructing to press enter was marginally better because
if you did as instructed, you had done the right thing(tm). And even if
you didn't (you pressed something else) you would get what you wanted,
unless you pressed something like alt...which is "any key"...

Oh well, how about "...and press any non-modifier key." (I suppose
default US keymap doesn't have dead keys?) :) :) :)

Tuukka Tikkanen tic0@sata.fi tic0@kiss.fi tituti@uta.fi * (C)95 tbc *
[this space for rent, really!]