Re: typos in include/linux/mcd.h

Dan Merillat (harik@accessorl.net)
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 13:55:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 27 Sep 1995, Dima Brodsky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there is a typo in include/linux/mcd.h which makes it difficult to
> know that you have to edit the file and set the port and irq, ie:
>
> at the top of the file you have
>
> /* *** change this to set the I/O port address */
> #define MCD_BASE_ADDR 0x300
>
> /* *** change this to set the interrupt number */
> #define MCD_INTR_NR 10
>
> /* *** make the following line uncommented, if you're sure,
> * *** all configuration is done */
> /* #define I_WAS_HERE */
>

> and at the bottom of the file you have:
>

> #if 0
> #ifndef I_WAS_HERE
> #error Please edit this file first.
> #endif
> #endif
>
> the #if 0 has to be #if 1 so that we are notified about the need to modify
> this file.

The reason for this was that this file was introduced when _ALL_ drivers
were compiled as modules. There is no reason that people not intending
to use the driver should have to edit: It goes against the grain. :-)

_I_ was quite annoyed by having to edit a file for a driver I wasn't even
using. It was originally a _VERY_ bad idea. Much better now.
Perhaps change the #if 0 to an #ifdef CONFIG_xxx type statement,
so if they are _USING_ the driver, they have to edit it.