Re: having System.map reflect the running kernel

Snow Cat (snowcat@gd.cs.CSUFresno.EDU)
Mon, 4 Sep 1995 10:08:25 -0700 (PDT)

Arthur Jerijian once wrote:

> > From: Werner Almesberger <almesber@lrc.epfl.ch>
> > Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 11:05:03 +0200 (MET DST)
> > Subject: Re: having System.map reflect the running kernel
>
> [ deleted ]
>
> > - unstripped kernels are another possibility with the following
> > drawbacks: they probably shouldn't be compressed either (objdump
> > and such want to lseek, so you couldn't just pipe the kernel
> > through gunzip), which slows down the load process and it also
> > makes them too big to load below 640kB. Since huge kernels will
> > grow beyond that limit anyway the sooner or the later, boot
> > loaders will have to be able to load beyond 1 MB, so the use of
> > unstripped kernels would only change the schedule.
>
> I have yet another idea. Why not make the 32-bit extender a separate
> entity outside of the kernel? That way, when the system boots, the
> extender can make all the memory available to load the uncompressed
> kernel. Of course, some 16-bit BIOS calls will have to be made by the
> extender for this purpose. Please correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm
> not a hardware programmer.

Why so complicated? :) Just go to protected mode, set ds,es,fs and gs to
segments with 4GB limit and then go to real mode without reloading them
with 64K segments. Then one can accesss all 4GB in memory (for example
xor ax,ax; mov ds,ax; mov eax,[0x10000000H]) AND make 16 bit BIOS calls.

--
     Snow ^oo^ Cat <snowcat@gd.cs.CSUFresno.EDU>
      _  ->  <-    aka Oleg Kibirev <oleg@gd.cs.CSUFresno.EDU>