1.3.12 (was Re: Scheduler rewrite (performance changes?))

Linus Torvalds (Linus.Torvalds@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 11:39:32 +0300

Chad Page: "Scheduler rewrite (performance changes?)" (Jul 24, 12:30):

> Looking at the 1.3.11 patch, a rewrite of the scheduler has
> begun. It no longer has those ugly confuse_gcc jumps in it, and seems
> faster (at least according to the byte benchmarks :) - it also appears
> to be unfinished, in that the runqueues haven't been implemented yet.

I sent out the patches to add the runqueue stuff on the mailing list
while announcing 1.3.11: I wanted them to get some extra unofficial
testing. All went fine, and the patches are part of the 1.3.12 kernel I
just put out.

1.3.12 also does (aside from the scheduling optimizations):
- some alpha updates (especially debugging updates, so gdb works
better)
- aztcd CD driver update
- cm206 CD driver update
- cdu32a CD driver update
- mcd CD driver update
- "struct sigcontext_struct" now available through <asm/sigcontext.h>
for those that need it on a user level.

It's available on the normal sites (ftp.funet.fi and ftp.cs.helsinki.fi)
and I assume mirrors will pick it up shortly.

Linus