Re: Strange behaviour with NFS

Bernhard Heidegger (hdg@edvz.tu-graz.ac.at)
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:39:52 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 24 Jul 1995, Martin Schulze wrote:

> I found some strange behaviour according to the nfs filesystem in the
> kernel.
>
> Whenever the nfs server isn't reachable the process on the client
> machine just hangs around, partially in 'D' status which means
> non-interruptable.
>
> BUT: The program just hangs around. You cannot kill it with Ctrl-C. So
> nfs is not usable for machines, where users can access other
> computer's files via modem line (uucp or bbs).

Try to mount the nfs filesystem 'soft'; my fstab looks like this:
jupiter:/usr3 /usr3/jupiter nfs soft,bg,rsize=8192,wsize=8192

We have many nfs mounted filesystems here, and it works even when a server
dies.

Bernhard.

---
|   hdg@edvz.tu-graz.ac.at   |   bheide@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at   |
| Bernhard Heidegger, Graz University of Technology, Austria |
Worst day playing is better than best day working!