Re: kernel config

Russell Nelson (nelson@crynwr.com)
Mon, 24 Jul 95 10:13 EDT

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 02:46:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jim Lynch <jimlynch@netcom.com>

> I suspect that this is caused by a lack of submissions. Look at it
> from Linus's point of view: what could be more safe to incorporate,
> than a patch which only changes comments. At least, I can't imagine
> him refusing a comment-only patch, so I guess he hasn't gotten any.

Great in theory... but I don't understand the kernel.

Read the code. Write down your understanding of it as comments.
Submit them as patches. If they're horribly wrong, someone else will
submit comment-bug-fixes. The only way to accomplish anything is to
do it yourself, not to exhort and cajole others.

Really... You DON'T NEED to be an expert to be useful and helpful.
I'm not an expert on the kernel, yet my kernel change summaries are
useful. And when they're horribly wrong, someone usually corrects me.

If you have a good idea for Linux, just run with it. Linus does a
good job of weeding out the cruft.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key