Re: Patches for serial console available

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@drinkel.ow.org)
Sat, 22 Jul 1995 14:04:10 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <199507201321.PAA21549@lrcsun1.epfl.ch>,
Werner Almesberger <almesber@lrc.epfl.ch> wrote:
>Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>> I've hacked up serial console support for Linux 1.3.10.
>> The diffs are pretty big (17k)
>
>Argl. I knew there was a reason why I didn't want to merge my serial
>consoles with the tty driver ;-)
>
>For your amusement, I've attached my 1638 bytes patch (should work with
>most recent kernels).

[patches deleted]

Okay, your patches are smaller. But mine do some things yours don't:

- supports /dev/console
- initializes UART speed. I know LILO already lets the BIOS do this at
boot time, but what if you don't boot through LILO ? (bootfloppy)
- Turns off 16550 FIFO mode before it prints and turns it on
afterwards if needed.
- Has a nice serial kernel monitor built in :)

Just depends on what you want, really.

Mike.

--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
| miquels@cistron.nl     | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |