Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #105

J. Kean Johnston (root@tetrarch.paradigm.co.za)
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 09:29:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 5 Jul 1995, Jim Lynch wrote:

> Unnecessary? Maybe. But what about us folx who cannot use lilo?
>
> I've been unable to use lilo for at least 2 years. I boot with a floppy.
>
> Sure, we could use rdev.... but shouldn't the kernel compile take care of
> itself?

That was my original intention. There is absolutely NO harm in having the
kernel make call rdev to set itself readonly. I just put it in the wrong
place. Hehehehe for such a simple thing it sure started a mini war. You
should have seen the hate-mail I got from all the smug lilo users who
made sure I knew I was an idiot for not putting read-only in the lilo
conf file. Perhaps they think the whole plannet's system is just like thiers?

Kean Johnston
hug@netcom.com