Re: PPP problem in the 1.3.6 kernel

William M. Perkins (bill@grnwood.cais.com)
Tue, 4 Jul 1995 23:08:33 -0400 (EDT)

> Had the same problem. Someone posted that the 2.2 beta ppp was needed.
> I installed the 2.2 beta version and now running under the 1.3.6 kernel.
>
> --
> Pete Clements
> clem@clem.digital.net
>
> "William M. Perkins" <bill@grnwood.cais.com> wrote:
> >
> >I am having a problem with PPP connections to my ISP when using
> >the 1.3.6 kernel. The PPP connection get established with the
> >ISP, but apparently no IP packets get exchanged. It has worked
> >fine with the 1.2.11, 1.3.4 and 1.3.5 kernels. I am using the
> >PPP 2.1.2d package with these kernels. I setup the "local2"
> >debug facility in the syslog.conf file and compared the resulting
> >ppplog output between the 1.3.5 and 1.3.6 kernels. The debug
> >outputs are nearly identical showing the chat handshake
> >messages and the kernel outiput saying the channel ppp0 was open
> >and that the mtu was changed to 1500. The last startup message
> >in the ppplog file is "Script /etc/ppp/ip-down started; pid =
> ><some number>". There is no /etc/ppp/ip-down file. At this
> >point, the pop-client gets my mail, but this does not happen nor
> >does a ping of any remote hosts return a response with the
> >1.3.6 kernel. The PPP connection terminates normally in any
> >case when told to quit.

I finally get PPP working with the 1.3.6 kernel by getting the latest
PPP BETA package from Al Longyear's site and installing it exactly
according to the given directions in the README.linux file. Al's
current version of PPP 2.2 BETA is available from ftp.netcom.com
as /pub/lo/longyear/ppp-2.2/950704.tar.gz. Al posted a message
earlier today about the PPP issue.

Bill

--
William M. Perkins              Internet - bill@cais.cais.com