Re: Adding support for Apple File Systems to Linux

emoenke (emoenke@gwdg.de)
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 12:46:55 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

>From: David E A Wilson <david@cs.uow.edu.au>
>Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 10:41:48 +1000 (EST)
>Subject: Adding support for Apple File Systems to Linux
>
>I am interested in adding support for reading Apple disks on my Linux box
>(I am an Apple // user from way back and at work we have a lot of Macs).
>
>I have planned it as follows:
>
>1) Add support for Apple partitioning of SCSI HDs and CD-ROMs.
>2) Write a Read-Only ProDOS fs handler.
>3) Make 2) Read-Write.
>4) Write a Read-Only HFS fs handler.
>5) Make 4) Read-Write.
>
>At the moment I am still working on step 1. I have a number of Mac and Apple //
>CD-ROMs to use as sample file systems. I have written user programs to
>read the partition table successfully but modifying genhd.c looks interesting.
>At the moment CDs are explictly denied partitions. Is this because ISO CDs can
>only have a single partition. It appears that the SCSI driver has its own code
>for handling PC partitions - why is it not in a common file with the IDE/MFM
>disk partition code?

For MAC HFS filesystems, hfs_fs_0.4 is out. With some patches from Holger
Schemel (I don't have his address present, sorry), it already is able
to work with HFS CDROMs. R/W support for "real" hard disks is under
construction, too, I guess.

Cheers -e-

--
Eberhard Moenkeberg                                GGG   W   W  DDDD    GGG
                                                  G      W   W  D   D  G