Re: 1.2.9 lockup - more information

Remy CARD (Remy.Card@freenix.fr)
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 21:33:37 +0200 (MET DST)

> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 20:03:08 -0700 (PDT)
> From: cloister bell <cloister@chad.hhhh.org>
>
> > I think corrupted filesystem shouldn't cause panic - maybe ext2_find_entry
> > should just log this with printk and return NULL? From what I was looking
> > at the code, this is a legitimate return value indicating an error.
>
> The "ext2_find_entry: buffer read pointer is NULL" problem doesn't look
> like a filesystem corruption; having eyeballed the code in
> fs/ext2/inode.c, it looks like a "should never happen" condition.
>
> Remy? Do you agree?

Yes. This is a ``should never happen'' condition which happens
anyway :-) I do not understand how (and why) it happens though. BTW, a
guy in Paris has the very same problem and I will soon try to make some
testing on his machine. Finding and fixing the problem will be easier this
way. I expect to be able to do it next week.

> - Ted

Remy