Re: 1.3.3 Compiled but having temrinal probs :(

Michael Weller (eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de)
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 11:51:32 +0200 (MSZ)

> Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 22:57:54 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Chris Chiu <chrisc@kaiwan.com>
> To: root <root@tetrarch.paradigm.co.za>
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: 1.3.3 Compiled but having temrinal probs :(

> On Tue, 27 Jun 1995, root wrote:
[...]
> > works. Weird huh? And /etc/termcap seems to be the ONLY file affected,
> > although I didnt persue this actively.
> >
> > This started in 1.3.2 BTW ... I'm about to boot 1.3.4 and see if that works.
> > I've been forced to stay at 1.3.1.
> >
> > This is a WEIRD bug.
> >

> I saw the same problem with linux 1.3.3. There is sort of a way getting
> around it though. After you log in, type in setenv TERM con80x25. It
> should allow you to use more and vi and some other programs.

Congrats! Just because people creating linux distributions insisted on
having linux as default TERM value and proofed to be unable to include
proper TERM settings with their from scratch created distributions (why
didn't they just include a proper init, getty or inittab?) (People
building distributions should really be able to provide proper setups).

There was just not any real reason to change the default TERM value. People
wanting to use TERM=linux, esp. in the affected newly installed system could
just have used a non broken init or a non broken getty, but no.. they needed
a kernel patch.

My getty's (from stone age) DO allow to explicitly set the TERM value on
the vc's to whatever value I like.

Just because of these lazy people a bunch of existing linux installations
all over the world is now screwed and their maintainers don't have a single
clue why..

Congrats,
Michael.

(eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de or eowmob@pollux.exp-math.uni-essen.de
Please do not use my vm or de0hrz1a accounts anymore. In case of real
problems reaching me try mat42b@aixrs1.hrz.uni-essen.de instead.)