Re: Linus... (or anyone) and timeloss in joystick driver.

lilo (TaRDiS@mail.utexas.edu)
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 14:33:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 26 Jun 1995, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:

> BTW, I have some ideas about the register dump feature. Since it is
> explicitly requested by the user, why not always print it on the console
> (like all the Oops messages) even if klogd is running? If something bad
> happened, it may be difficult to log in and kill klogd...

Actually, it would be lovely if we could do the reverse (send the Oops
messages to the klog destination) though this is certainly not always
possible due to the state of the system (i.e., in the process of
crashing). Still, the more information gets routed to a log file the
more likely you are to get it in case there are problems. I have had a
couple of problems which resulted in a spontaneous reboot, and I would
have loved it if I could have gotten some diagnostic info.... :)

lilo