Re: [RFC 00/14] Dynamic Kernel Stacks

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Mar 12 2024 - 17:38:02 EST

On 3/12/24 12:45, Pasha Tatashin wrote:

Ok, first of all, talking about "kernel memory" here is misleading.

Hi Peter,

I re-read my cover letter, and I do not see where "kernel memory" is
mentioned. We are talking about kernel stacks overhead that is
proportional to the user workload, as every active thread has an
associated kernel stack. The idea is to save memory by not
pre-allocating all pages of kernel-stacks, but instead use it as a
safeguard when a stack actually becomes deep. Come-up with a solution
that can handle rare deeper stacks only when needed. This could be
done through faulting on the supported hardware (as proposed in this
series), or via pre-map on every schedule event, and checking the
access when thread goes off cpu (as proposed by Andy Lutomirski to
avoid double faults on x86) .

In other words, this feature is only about one very specific type of
kernel memory that is not even directly mapped (the feature required
vmapped stacks).

Unless your threads are spending nearly all their time sleeping, the
threads will occupy stack and TLS memory in user space as well.

Can you please elaborate, what data is contained in the kernel stack
when thread is in user space? My series requires thread_info not to be
in the stack by depending on THREAD_INFO_IN_TASK.

My point is that what matters is total memory use, not just memory used in the kernel. Amdahl's law.

-hpa