Re: [GIT PULL] vfs pidfd

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Mar 12 2024 - 16:22:02 EST

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 at 13:09, Christian Brauner <brauner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's used to compare pidfs and someone actually already sent a pull
> request for this to another project iirc. So it'd be good to keep that
> property.

Hmm. If people really do care, I guess we should spend the effort on
making those things unique.

> But if your point is that we don't care about this for 32bit then I do
> agree. We could do away with the checks completely and just accept the
> truncation for 32bit. If that's your point feel free to just remove the
> 32bit handling in the patch and apply it. Let me know. Maybe I
> misunderstood.

I personally don't care about 32-bit any more, but it also feels wrong
to just say that it's ok depending on something on a 64-bit kernel,
but not a 32-bit one.

So let's go with your patch. It's not like it's a problem to spend the
(very little) extra effort to do a 64-bit inode number.

Linus