Re: [RFC] staging: wlan-ng: Driver broken since kernel 5.15

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue Mar 12 2024 - 11:59:01 EST

On Sat, Mar 9, 2024, at 23:09, Philipp Hortmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would remove the driver from the mainline kernel. What are your thoughts?
>
> I bought two WLAN devices (DUT: D-Link DWL-122 and T-Sinus 111 data)
> that are supported by wlan-ng driver. Issue is that the driver is not
> working anymore.

I don't think it matters much either way. I did send the patches
to remove wlan drivers that were either using the old pcmcia
interfaces or the old wireless extensions that I think we should
try to eventually kill off entirely, but this driver uses neither
of them and as a result has a lower maintenance cost.

On the other hand, there is also little benefit in keeping the
driver if it's known to be broken, given how better USB wireless
adapters are dirt cheap and widely available. Even if we find and
fix all the bugs in this driver, any supported 802.11n device
would be better in practice.

Arnd