trivial-devices with vdd-supply: true

From: Javier Carrasco
Date: Sat Mar 09 2024 - 07:22:48 EST

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the current policy to add trivial devices
(I2C/SPI devices with at most one interrupt) to trivial-devices.yaml or
include a dedicated file.

Apparently, bindings for the same sort of devices where "vdd-supply" is
provided require their own file, and I wonder why there is no
"vdd/supplied/whatever-trivial-devices.yaml".

Instead, files with trivial bindings + "vdd-supply: true" are added on a
regular basis. That property is not saying anything specific about the
device beyond that it needs a supply, which is very common. Is that
intended and no more generic bindings are desired?

On the other hand, trivial-devices.yaml includes several devices that do
require a single supply (e.g. several sensors), but it is not explicitly
documented. Did the requirement of providing vdd-supply arise after
those devices were added to trivial-devices? I think that some devices
that were added to trivial-devices in the last months could have also
had a vdd-supply property, so I am not sure about the rules to choose
one way or another.

Thanks and best regards,
Javier Carrasco