Re: pcap-dbus.o:undefined reference to `dbus_message_demarshal'

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Thu Mar 07 2024 - 05:07:53 EST

On Thu, 2024-03-07 at 09:54 +0000, Anton Ivanov wrote:

> PCAP is not feasible to incorporate into the build system at present.
> It has grown all kinds of warts over the years and brings a lot of dependencies.
> IMHO we should remove it from the tree. It has reached a point where it cannot
> be built on a modern system.

I suppose it might be possible to call pcap-config? But agree that it
doesn't seem really worth investing in.

> The users who need the same functionality can produce a bpf filter using tcpdump
> and load it as "firmware" into the vector/raw driver.
>
> I am working on a pure python bpf compiler which takes the same syntax as PCAP.
> It is showing signs of life and it can do some of the simpler use cases. Once
> that is ready, it should be possible to use that instead of pcap/tcpdump.

How's that required to be formatted and loaded? tcpdump itself can also
dump the filter in BPF format, with -d/-ddd (-dd is a C representation,
so probably not useful). Perhaps we could even automatically call
'tcpdump' at runtime?

johannes