Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X13s regerssions (was Re: Linux regressions report for mainline [2024-02-25])

From: Bjorn Andersson
Date: Tue Mar 05 2024 - 23:20:05 EST

On Tue, Mar 05, 2024 at 02:51:44PM +0100, Johan Hovold wrote:
> [ +CC: Vinod, Bjorn, Abhinav ]
>
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2024 at 10:33:39AM +0100, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
> > [dropping Linus from CC, we can add him back later when needed]

> > As 6.8 final might be just five days away, could you please help me out
> > with a short status update wrt. unresolved regressions from your side if
> > you have a minute? It's easy to get lost in all those issues. :-/ :-D
>
> Heh. Indeed. It's been a rough cycle. :)

> > > This series addresses a use-after-free in the PMIC glink driver caused
> > > by DRM bridge changes in rc1 and which can result in the internal
> > > display not showing up on boot.
> > >
> > > The DRM/SoC fixes here have now been merged to drm-misc for 6.8.
> >
> > What about the others from that series? Can they wait till 6.9? Or are
> > they on track for 6.8?
>
> Vinod, the PHY maintainer, just told me he will try to get them into
> 6.8.
>
> > > But also with these fixes, there are still a couple of regressions
> > > related to the Qualcomm DRM runtime PM rework in 6.8-rc1. I'll send
> > > separate reports to track those.
> >
> > Any decision yet if they are going to be reverted for now?
> >
> > Am I right assuming those would fix
> > https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/Zd3kvD02Qvsh2Sid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
> > which did not get even a single reply?
>
> That was the hope, but I've managed to trigger a reset on disconnect
> once also with the runtime PM series reverted.
>
> One of the patches from that series has already been reverted (to fix
> the VT console hotplug regression) and there is some indication that
> that was sufficient to address the issue with hotplug not being detected
> in X/Wayland too. I'm waiting for confirmation from some users that have
> not been able to use their external displays at all since 6.8-rc1, but
> it does seem to fix the X/Wayland issues I could reproduce here.

I bumped my X13s to v6.8-rc7 earlier today and took it for a spin.

I was successfully able to plug/unplug my main display both in fbcon and
Wayland (sway) a number of times, I was able to boot with external
display connected and have it show up in fbcon and then survive into
sway. I tried suspending (echo mem > /sys/power/state) and got back from
that state a few times without problems.

Mixing connection/disconnection with being in suspended state was less
successful and I was able to crash the machine twice here - but I can't
say this worked before... (As previously we would not have eDP after
suspending with external display).

So, things are looking much better with -rc7, but of course, my test
scope is limited.

Regards,
Bjorn