Re: Question about PB rule of LKMM

From: Andrea Parri
Date: Tue Mar 05 2024 - 13:01:10 EST

(Expanding Cc:,)

> In the LKMM document, it said the pb link:
>
> E ->coe W ->cumul-fence* X ->rfe? Y ->strong-fence Z ->hb* F
>
> can make sure E execute before F. But the cat file define pb as follow:
>
> let pb = prop ; strong-fence ; hb* ; [Marked]
> acyclic pb as propagation
>
> So the acyclic rule is only on pb relationshit itself. So it won't
> forbid F -rfe-> E, will it? It only forgit F -pb-> E. So how can
> propagation rule ensure E execute before F?

With regard to your first question, the propagation rule does indeed forbid
F ->rfe E. To see why, suppose that F ->rfe E (in particular, E is a load
and the first link in your sequence is fre instead of coe). Then

E ->fre W ->cumul-fence* X ->rfe? Y ->strong-fence Z ->hb* F ->rfe E.

Since any rfe-link is an hb-link (by definition of the hb-relation), the
previous expression can be written as follows:

E ->fre W ->cumul-fence* X ->rfe? Y ->strong-fence Z ->hb* F ->hb E,

that is, given that hb* is the reflexive transitive closure of hb,

E ->fre W ->cumul-fence* X ->rfe? Y ->strong-fence Z ->hb* E,

contradicting the fact that pb is acyclic. An argument similar to the one
reported above can show that the propagation rule forbids F ->hb E.

To address the second question, I'd start by first remarking that the CAT
file doesn't define an "execute-before" relation currently. This file does
however include the following comment:

(*
* The happens-before, propagation, and rcu constraints are all
* expressions of temporal ordering. They could be replaced by
* a single constraint on an "executes-before" relation, xb:
*
* let xb = hb | pb | rb
* acyclic xb as executes-before
*)

In this sense, the propagation rule (like other "acyclicity"-constraints of
the LKMM) expresses "temporal ordering", and any pb-link is (by definition)
an "execute-before"-link. The file explanation.txt can provide additional
context/information, based on the (informal) operational model described in
that file, about this matter.

Notice that, as examples in tools/memory-model/litmus-tests/ can illustrate,
none of the three components of the xb-relation is redundant. Specifically,
there do exist pb-links/cycles which are not hb-link/cycles (and viceversa).

Maintaining three distinct/separate constraints (happens-before, propagation,
and rcu) instead of a single "executes-before" constraint, although formally
unnecessary, highlights the modularity and eases the debugging of the LKMM.